Re: Oracle vs MS SQL Server

From: <oracle_at_nettwerk.com>
Date: 1998/08/23

Jacob Love wrote:
> Above, I noted that developing in PL/SQL does constitute something of a
> lock-in situation, but we find the same being true of SQL Server. If
> your database becomes too complex or two important to trust to NT, with
> Oracle you can move it with little fuss or muss to dozens of Unix
> platforms (now including Linux) as well as even larger class
> installations (OS/390, etc).

I operate in just such a scenerio... and I love it! My development team does all of their work on cheap ($) NT server laptops, running Oracle8 database and OAS 4 where ever they want; sitting at home on the couch, on a plane, at a client's office, etc. They do ALL of their PL/SQL development on this platform, and then migrate it, very easily I might add, to our multi-processor Sun box running Solaris. The end result is an application that will run on ANY Oracle-supported platform, no special compilations, etc. Received on Sun Aug 23 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT