Applet Security Problem With Oralce JDBCTHIN?

From: Mohamad Ijadi <mohamad_at_lanl.gov>
Date: 1998/08/21

I cannot get around security exceptions when running Oracle JDBCTHIN applets on Windows NT using Netscape4.05:(. My applet attempts to connect to a database host different from the applet source. The same applet works fine on irix and solaris machines. Netscape's capability API seems to work (permissions requested, etc). But the connect throws a secutiry exception when run on a Windows NT client. Some are saying this is a problem with the Oracle JDBCTHIN driver and that Oracle needs to fix this. Anyone having similar problems?

My applet notifies the user for granting previliges by:

         PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalConnect");
         PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalFileRead");
         PrivilegeManager.enablePrivilege("UniversalFileWrite");

The connect happens in the same block. See below for relevant exception trace from the java console. It'd be nice to hear from Oracle or other people who've had similar problems.

Los Alamos National Laboratory
Distributed Computing & Viz.
CIC-8, MS B272
phone: (505) 665-4331
fax: (505) 665-6333

Netscape Communications Corporation -- Java 1.1.5 Type '?' for options.
Symantec Java! ByteCode Compiler Version 210.065 Copyright (C) 1996-97 Symantec Corporation

netscape.security.AppletSecurityException: security.Couldn't connect to 'xxx.lanl.gov' with origin from 'yyy.lanl.gov'.

   at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
   at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
   at java.lang.RuntimeException.<init>(Compiled Code)
   at java.lang.SecurityException.<init>(Compiled Code)
   at netscape.security.AppletSecurityException.<init>(Compiled Code)
   at netscape.security.AppletSecurityException.<init>(Compiled Code)
   at netscape.security.AppletSecurity.checkConnect(Compiled Code)
   at netscape.security.AppletSecurity.checkConnect(Compiled Code)    at netscape.security.AppletSecurity.checkConnect(Compiled Code)
   at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkConnect(Compiled Code)
   at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Compiled Code)
   at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(Compiled Code)
   at java.net.Socket.<init>(Compiled Code)
   at oracle.sqlnet.SQLnet.Connect(Compiled Code)
   at oracle.sqlnet.SQLnet.Connect(Compiled Code)
   at oracle.sqlnet.SQLnet.Connect(Compiled Code)
   at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.connect(Compiled Code)
   at oracle.jdbc.ttc7.TTC7Protocol.logon(Compiled Code)
   at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.<init>(Compiled Code)    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(Compiled Code)    at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(Compiled Code) Received on Fri Aug 21 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT