Re: Oracle vs MS SQL Server

From: Ng K C Paul <paulkcng_at_news.netvigator.com>
Date: 1998/08/21

   Linkname: Oracle Announces Upgrade Tool for Microsoft SQL Server

   We have a message for dissatisfied SQL Server customers - its faster    and easier to migrate to Oracle8 today than migrating to SQL Server 7    will be tomorrow.

   On August 18, 1998, Oracle announced the beta release of Oracle    Migration Workbench, a Java-based tool that provides customers with a    simple process for converting from a Microsoft SQL Server database to    the industry leading Oracle8 database. Oracle also announced plans to    enhance Oracle8 with graphical wizards to make application development    for Windows NT faster and easier.

   While a growing number of companies are adopting Windows NT as a    development and application platform, they continue to have    reservations about deploying their applications on Microsoft SQL    Server. In response to strong customer demand, Oracle has developed    the Oracle Migration Workbench, a tool that simplifies the process of    migrating data and applications from SQL Server to Oracle8.

Mark Ioffe (ioffem_at_msn.com) wrote:
: Pleace advice me:
: At my school I have a choice to study Oracle or MS SQL Server. Which one is
: today's Industry is more in need for?
:
: Thanks for any input.
: