PCTFREE & PCTUSED

From: Arthur Merar <amerar_at_unsu.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 23:23:16 -0500

Hello,

I am very new to Oracle. I am reading all the book and I'm not sure I understand these parameters and how they work.

PCTFREE is the amount of space that must remain available in the block for updates.
PCTUSED is a threshhold amount where new inserts cannot be done if the block is that much filled.

What I do not understand is something like this: If PCTFREE is 20% and PCTUSED is 40%, Can inserts be done if the block is 50% filled??? According to PCTFREE it can, but according to PCTUSED no nre inserts can be done.

So, I'm unclear how these work. Can someone please offer some assistance?

Thanks,

--

"A real friend is someone who knows all about you and still respects you."

Arthur
amerar_at_unsu.com
ICQ#:663601
http://www.unsu.com Received on Fri Aug 21 1998 - 23:23:16 CDT