Use of rollback segments

From: <lrako_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 13:15:37 GMT

Hi ,

I'm currently working on a conversion application on Oracle 7.3/NT.

It does a lot of heavy transactions (updates 515000 rows many times, deletes..) and takes about 5 hours to run completely Recently we had an error ' failed to extend rollback segment' or something like that. After a few investigations, we created a new rollback segment but without having any clue of what would be the outcome of it. Eventually, we got rid of the error but still in a blur regarding the use of a rollback segment.

WHAT DOES EXACTLY DO A ROLLBACK SEGMENT ? I noticed that we have now 8 rollback segments of various sizes, ranging from 20M to 160M in a single RBS tablespace.

IS'N IT TOO MUCH ? WHAT ARE RULES IN MANAGING ROLLBACK SEGMENTS ?? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lalaina.