Advice on Oracle 8 tools

From: <cary_at_nams.net>
Date: 1998/08/19

Hello,

  I am part of a small software development team (5 people) that improves and maintains a single database application product that is used in the telecommunications industry. We are planning to migrate from FoxPro 2.6 to Oracle 8, and therefore, we require software development tools with which to rewrite our code. One added complication is that in the future we will actually have two versions of our product: a character-based version (similar to what exists at the moment) that can be accessed via a telnet session to a SCO Unix server machine and a GUI version accessible via a Web browser. To achieve these objectives, we intend to overhaul our current software development system, replacing it with Intersolv's PVCS Version Manager in combination with A) Oracle's Designer/Developer/JDeveloper products or B) Borland's JBuilder or Powersoft's PowerBuilder + something else for creating the character-based version. Does anyone have any advice regarding these products? Are there additional products that we should consider using? Are there products that we should definitely not consider using? I know that these are rather general questions, but we are still trying to get a feel for who the major players are and for the quality/performance of their products. I have had about a month to play with a trial version of Oracle's JDeveloper (a.k.a. Borland JBuilder) and feel that it would be pretty nice for developing the GUI version of our application. However, nobody here has any hands-on experience with any of the other products mentioned above. Please bear in mind when responding to this post that A) our development will be done on Windows95/98 desktops with the code repository residing on a SCO Unix server, B) cost is not a terribly important factor, and C) we are basically building our development environment from scratch and hold no allegiance to any particular company/product. Thanks in advance.