[APP] VisualWorks Non-Commercial for Linux i386 available

From: Peter Hatch <RemoveMephatch_at_cat.ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 21:45:53 -0500

This is to announce the availability of VisualWorks Non-Commercial for the Linux i386 platform. This release is for evaluation, demonstration and educational uses. Obviously, it includes the Smalltalk compiler, but, amongst other things, it also includes a parser generator, a visual state-machine diagram compiler (as part of the HotDraw structured drawing package), and a regular expression package.

VisualWorks Non-Commercial is already available for Windows 95/NT. VisualWorks can be downloaded from www.objectshare.com/vwnc. The cover page can't be updated until tomorrow, but the actual download page has been updated to make available VWNC for Linux.

As a side note, I would like to say that VisualWorks could be made to run on most other platforms (such as ARM). If you are interested in using VisualWorks on a platform that is not currently supported (check www.objectshare.com for the supported platforms) please send a note to vwnc_at_cs.uiuc.edu. We would be interested in considering such support, but can't guarantee anything.

(I'm not an employee of ObjectShare, so I can't speak for them... ;-)

Please post any problems or comments to vwnc_at_cs.uiuc.edu.

From the Windows 95/NT release:

VisualWorks is a rich interactive programming environment for the Smalltalk-80 language. It contains a number of language processing tools which may be of particular interest to comp.compilers readers. These include the Smalltalk compiler itself, a parser generator and a set of C interface generation tools implemented using the generator, a regular expression package, and the Refactoring Browser, a powerful program transformation tool for Smalltalk programming.

All components come with full source and are extensible and reusable by the user.

--

      \	 /Peter W. Hatch \  /