Re: Why is query time SLOW on NT?

From: <TOnions_at_attrs.uk.att.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 07:04:22 GMT

One thing that can cause small full table scans to take a very long time is if the table has at one time held many many rows and has since had these deleted. This causes the high water mark to be set way above the last actual data block. Oracle always full table scans up to the high water mark hence it takes a lot of time to return very little data. To check this see how many extents your table has (DBA_EXTENTS or DBA_SEGMENTS will tell you). If you have a lot of extents then it suggests the high water mark is the problem. Alternatively, you can use DBMS_SPACE.FREE_SPACE. If you find this is the cause recereate your table or copy out the data, TRUNCATE the table and copy the data back.