Why is query time SLOW on NT?

From: PERRY <PMEADE_at_MAIL.ARC.NASA.GOV>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 11:58:33 -0700

Hi all,

I am running Personal Oracle 8 on a dual 200 Pentium pro NT system. It has plenty of fast disk storage and 128mb RAM. Should be fast, right? Not with Oracle!

I have a sample table with 1337 rows. When I use SQL*Plus to issue the command

 select count(rowid) from ca2p1;

it takes 45 seconds to return the response

COUNT(ROWID)

        1337

This seems a bit excessive and leads me to believe there is something seriously amiss with the default database tuning parameters. Can anyone suggest a 'reasonable' level to assign some of the tuning parameters so that this pig actually flies?

Ultimately, I will have a single fairly large database with multiple tables - I would hate to think how long a simple query on a table with 100,000 records would take!

Thanks,

Perry
PMeade_at_mail.arc.nasa.gov Received on Tue Aug 18 1998 - 13:58:33 CDT