Re: Storing images or pointers to images - advice please

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:19:21 GMT

Hi Carl,

        You can go either way, that is, either store the images or poitners to the images. Personally I prefer to store the images in a flat file and then just store the file name in the data base. (If you have a lot of files and want good performance you should store the full path names and use directory names like "AA", "AB", ... "ZZ").

        The EASIEST way to do it is:

  1. store the image as a file
  2. invoke a sqlplus script that inserts a row in a lookup table and pass the name of the file as well as the search terms to the script as parameters. (Have the script exit on completion).

Please note that there are many better ways to accomplish your objective, but this can get you started.

regards

Jerry

--

Jerry Gitomer         	ICT Group