Re: NT4... and memory usage

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_wans.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 21:09:11 GMT

Marc wrote in message <6r4ql3$793$1_at_heliodor.xara.net>...
>Just a quick question - I use Oracle at work on an NT4 Workstation, and it
>originally had 32meg edo.
>I got so many GPF's that I upgraded to 80meg and now it is much better...
>what's your recommended memory size? My boss is still sceptical (we've ALL
>got a boss like that!) and she needs to be coerced..

Marc,

Why don't you check your memory usage with Performance Monitor? Show her a chart - bosses like charts. Or you could set the size of your swap file down to say, 10 MB and see how long it runs before crashing. Try a right-click on the task bar, click on task manager and take a look at Performance - thrre's a graph there. Run some poorly constructed queries with full table scans and watch the cpu usage max out. Btw, a description of the version (e.g. Oracle for workgroups 7.3.3) wouldn't hurt - maybe mention the size of an export (dump) file (uncompressed). You know - when you make backups.

Seriously, though - unless Oracle is the only app you're only running on that machine (with a small database) I'll bet that you're still swapping. I think that 96 MB is the bare minimum to run Oracle, with no other apps. Spec 128 MB if you want to run a development environment, run a mail client and browser.

hth,
Paul Received on Sat Aug 15 1998 - 16:09:11 CDT