Sun sizing

From: paul mcclure <mcclurep_at_pop.erols.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 05:35:59 -0400

Hello,
  i would like help with Sun sizing for Oracle server. I am running an Enterprise 3000 (2x 176Mhz) attached to SSA 100 (nine years old). The SSA's siblings (GIS use) started to fail about a year ago and are being replaced with D1000's. I need the e3000 for another use, and propose to replace the e3000/SSA100 with an ultra 2 class system (e250) or e450 and 2 x D1000.
  the DBA says that i am file system bound only (considering veratos (sp)). we are running two or more small Oracle databases with web functionality and a peak of 150-200 users, average load of 60. processor and disks are essentially idle on e3000.   Sun wants to sell me e3500, i think it is serious overkill considering the load on the e3000.
  My DBA would like to talk to shops running similar configurations. any comments are welcome. thank you.

...paul (mcclure)
System Administrator
Department of Justice Criminal Division MIS Received on Fri Aug 14 1998 - 04:35:59 CDT