Error: Table Mutating, Trigger may not see it???

From: Todd Weaver <tweaver_at_imsisoft.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 17:55:21 -0700

I am trying to construct a very simple trigger AFTER INSERT of a parent record, to populate the child record's FK field.....

On INSERT to FACILITIES, the application first generates a random surrogate PK in the REGISTRY table, then returns that value to act as the FACILITIES.PK value as well. All good.

So, the trigger takes that PK value from FACILITIES, and kicks it back to the REGISTRY record's FK to FACILITIES. This has to happen AFTER INSERT, since the REGISTRY record is formally a child of the FACILITIES record. Hence:

CREATE TRIGGER.....
AFTER INSERT ON F_FACILITIES BEGIN
INSERT INTO REGISTRY (FKEY_FACILITIES)
VALUES (:NEW.PKEY)
WHERE REGISTRY.PKEY = :NEW.PKEY;
END; The error message states "f_facilities is mutating, the trigger may not see it..."

I cannot find a discussion of mutating tables (or even a definition) in any on-line ORACLE books, O'Reilly press books, or Oracle press books that I have. Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Veeb Received on Thu Aug 13 1998 - 19:55:21 CDT