Re: Oracle Vs Access

From: Dan Ellenburg <dan3_at_zfast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 12:09:43 GMT

On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 14:57:25 +0100, info_at_barlocher.co.uk wrote:

>I have been using Access for the last 18mths or so and would like to try
>another database - namely Oracle. I would say i was at an intermediate
>level with Access - but im not from an IT background and do not have an
>IT degree. How easy would it be to learn Oracle? I would appreicate any
>advise.

I am currently converting a large Access 97 application to Access/Oracle (e.g., Access Front End -- Oracle Back End.)

The most difficult part of the conversion is the SQL statement conversion (converting Access syntax to Oracle syntax). While it is possible to use the Access-derived SQL statements with ODBC, they can be very slow. It is nearly always faster to use SQL pass-through queries (that is, let Oracle execute the SQL statements using ODBC Direct.)

Dan Ellenburg
(To reply, remove the 'z' from e-mail address.) Received on Wed Aug 12 1998 - 07:09:43 CDT