Oracle JDBC Thin Applet + MS IE: SecurityException accessing jdbc.drivers system property

From: Juhani Jaakola <Juhani.Jaakola_at_Hansel.FI>
Date: 1998/08/11

I downloaded last Friday the newest JDBC Thin drivers for UNIX from www.oracle.com. I tested the sample applet from thin-1.0.2/JdbcApplet.java. I compiled it with JDK 1.2 Beta 2 on NT 4.0 SP 3 and transferred the binary .class file to UNIX WWW Server.

With Netscape 3.0 Gold the applet works fine. Java Console shows however:

  AppAccelerator(tm) 1.0.2 for Java, x86 version.   Copyright (c) 1996 Borland International. All Rights Reserved.   # Security Exception: properties

With Microsoft Internet Explorer 3 the applet doesn't do anything. I can't get any error messages out of it, it just doesn't run.

With Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 (Microsoft (R) VM for Java (tm), 4.0 Release 4.79.0.2339) I get the following error message in the Java console:

com.ms.security.SecurityExceptionEx[jdbc/sql/DriverManager.loadInitialDrivers]: Unable to access system property: jdbc.drivers

	at com/ms/security/permissions/PropertyPermission.check
	at com/ms/security/PolicyEngine.shallowCheck
	at com/ms/security/PolicyEngine.checkCallersPermission
	at com/ms/security/StandardSecurityManager.chk
	at com/ms/security/StandardSecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess
	at java/lang/System.getProperty
	at jdbc/sql/DriverManager.loadInitialDrivers
	at jdbc/sql/DriverManager.initialize
	at jdbc/sql/DriverManager.getConnection
	at jdbc/sql/DriverManager.getConnection
	at JdbcApplet.action
	at java/awt/Component.handleEvent
	at java/awt/Component.postEvent
	at java/awt/Component.postEvent
	at java/awt/Component.postEvent
	at java/awt/Component.dispatchEventImpl
	at java/awt/Component.dispatchEvent
	at java/awt/WUIPeer.handleEvent
	at java/awt/WButtonPeer.handleEvent
	at java/awt/Component.postEvent
	at com/ms/ui/AwtUIHost.postEvent
	at java/awt/WUIPeer.postEvent
	at com/ms/ui/UIRoot.postEvent
	at com/ms/ui/UIComponent.postEvent
	at com/ms/ui/UIStateContainer.postEvent
	at com/ms/ui/UIButton.Â¥
	at com/ms/ui/UIButton.mouseClicked
	at com/ms/ui/UIComponent.handleEvent
	at com/ms/ui/UIComponent.postEvent
	at com/ms/ui/UIStateContainer.postEvent
	at com/ms/ui/UIComponent.postEvent
	at com/ms/ui/UIStateComponent.postEvent
	at com/ms/ui/UIRoot.Ã…
	at com/ms/ui/UIRoot.forwardEvent
	at com/ms/ui/AwtUIHost.postEvent
	at java/awt/WUIPeer.postEvent
	at com/ms/ui/AwtUIHost.processEvent
	at java/awt/Component.dispatchEventImpl
	at java/awt/Container.dispatchEventImpl
	at java/awt/Component.dispatchEvent
	at java/awt/EventDispatchThread.run

Apparently Oracle's JDBC driver tries to access system property jdbc.drivers and MS IE's security manager thinks that's a bad thing. Is there a workaround?

We have 100 users using MS IE version 3, is it possible to use JDBC Thin with it? Received on Tue Aug 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT