Re: To stripe or not to stripe

From: Steve Holdoway and Julie Holdstock <essnjay_at_kabelfoon.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 17:51:23 GMT

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 07:07:58 -0400, "Lisa Lewis" <lewis_at_med.pitt.edu> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me whether it is better to separate the indexes and data
>tablespaces on two separate disks or stripe the two disks together and put
>both the indexes and data tablespaces on the striped set. My intuition is
>that it is better to not stripe and keep the indexes and data on separate
>disks. I have 7 disks to work with and I planto lay them out as follows:
>
>1. Oracle S/W

These are read once only, and will probably be picked up from swap if needed again. I'd ignore these completely. If fact, if you've got space, put them on the same disc as the applications s/w ( in the same category ), and the Export destination. Putting a copy of the control file here is fine, too. That leaves you with 6 spindles to play with for the database

OK, what are we after from these 6 discs? Is it speed, reliability, or some combination of the two. My first bash design would be as follows:

Spread the remaining six discs across two controllers, and mirror one controller against the other. I would then stripe the tablespaces, etc across the set of three. Whether this is possible depends on the operating system, of course ( eg this isn't possible in HPUX without a stripe size of less than 1Mb, and is very limited to size ). Stagger the order of the discs for the TS's, etc in an attempt to ensure no bottleneck at startup.

This gains you reliability as you're covered against a disc failure, and a controller failure (well, they tend to go mad and scribble everywhere before failing! ), and an improvement in read performance, at a minor cost in write performance.

>2. System TS, Control File 1
>3. RBS, Control File 2
>4. Data TS, Control File 3
>5. Index TS, Temp TS
>6. Online Redo logs
> Export Dump file destination disk
>7. Application S/W, Archived redo logs
>
>Any comments suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't forget to add as much memory to the system as you can possibly make a case for, and look into using raw disk partitions of you need more performance ( mind you, there are not too many backup solutions available for them if you're on an NT platform.

HTH Steve Received on Tue Aug 11 1998 - 12:51:23 CDT