Re: Oracle Reference

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 14:52:28 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Bill Chapman <bchapman_at_best.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 08 Aug 1998 08:55:52 -0700, you wrote:

>I am looking for a reference book on Oracle 8. I haven't found anything
>good in stores.

given your requirements, I think you already have what you are asking for... Its in 3 books, the SQL Language Reference, the Server Concepts Guide, and the Application Developers Guide...

>Requirements are:
>1. You should be able to look up any keyword the language has in the
>description and find a decent description of it. No book has been this,
>good, so as close to this as possible.

that sounds a lot like the Server SQL Reference Manual, chapter 4.

>2. Definitions should be clear, concise, and complete.

Again, sounds like chapter 4 of the SQL reference -- each command has a short "Purpose" section, "Prerequisite" section, "syntax" diagram, explaination of each of the options to the command and finally some examples.

>3. Optional: Good descriptions of concepts. Easy to find through index.

Sounds like the Server Concepts Manual.

>4. Optional: Plenty of examples.

Sounds like Application Developers Guide.

>5. Optional: Something useful on a CD-ROM
>
>6. Optional: Extra points for being thinner than a phone book.
>
>One technical manual that lives up to this is the C Programming Language
>by Kernighan and Ritchie. 1/2" thick.
>
>Bill

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Sun Aug 09 1998 - 09:52:28 CDT