Re: Oracle Replication

From: <nasof_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 03:13:39 GMT

Whooaahhh.... take a breath... Just kidding, these are all good questions.

I'll try to give a shot at your questions... check the text below...

-Frank

In article <35CB48FC.D1FC9376_at_ece2.engr.ucf.edu>,   Nimat Haque <nha_at_ece2.engr.ucf.edu> wrote:
> I have no prevoius experience with oracle. We have Oracle Entertprise
> Edition 8.0.4 for windows NT 4.0. I have to replicate some tables from
> server 1 to rempte server 2. Server 2 has the same OS and same version
> of Oracle. I want to use asynchronous multimaster replication.
> Since I am in a learning stage now, I don't want to craete a new
> database. I want to add some new tables to the schema scott and try to
> replicate that.
> 1)Is that a wise step? Do I have to grant dba permission to scott for
> that?

### I would recommend (if you didnt do this in the first place) creating a sample database with the Oracle Database Assistant and hit the check box for Replication Support. This will ensure the database is created with the neccessary catalog file and the neccessary init.ora params.

> 2) If I use replication manager, do I have to create the database links
> using SQl*Plus or rep. manager will do that for me? Also do I have to
> create the schema in the remote server that will contain the replicated
> objects prior to using rep. manager? Also is there anything to change in
> the init.ora file?

### Replication manager can create the database links for you based on the database's global name. I believe that Replication Manager will create the schema for you if it or the tables don't already exist. If you don't create the database with Replication support you may have to add several init.ora params like GLOBAL_NAMES=TRUE and JOB_QUEUE_INTERVAL=30 and one more that escapes me now.

> 3)What is the role of propagator, receiver, replication admin ? Is there
> any problem if they are different users?

### Just let Replication manager create the REPADMIN schema and use it for propagator,receiver, and admin. You will need to supply the system password for this and the links during Replication Manager Wizard setup.

> 4)Is there any way to replicate from Oracle to Access?

### Sure there is a way. In our field there is always a way to do anything. Can you use Oracle tools to do this? No. Are there other tools available? Probably not. Im not sure of your intended use, but how about scheduling exports of data and importing them into Access?

> 6) Can anyone suggest a good book that talk about in details about
> multimaster replication? I have the online manuals that came with the CD
> and lots of things are not clear to me?

### I think the Online Manual is about the best except I understand the Actual course provides the best manuals.