Re: Personal Oracle 8 on NT:create a local database

From: CharlesM <charlesm1NOSPAM_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:44:48 -0500

In article <6qcec1$icp$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>, boston01_at_hotmail.com says...
> I am new to Personal Oracle 8 for NT server. A local database is automatically
> created during the installation. Can I create my own local database? if can,
> how?
>
> thank in advance!

Use the 'Database Assistant'. Its real easy. You can choose custom to specify size and tablespace names for the database. Then add users under srvmgr30. Now, as a second note, NAV80 appears to be hardwired to the tablespace names of the default instance. So, you may want to use those names in your new database as well (USER_DATA vs USR, for instance). To change ORACLE_SID, that's stored in the registry under (as I recall) hkey_local_machine/software/oracle. You cannot change it as an environmental variable (as in UNIX), you must edit the registry (or use a short registry patch which you edit) to change the SID. Finally, you can use NET8 with the 'bequeath' type to create a connection to the database. Received on Thu Aug 06 1998 - 11:44:48 CDT