Legato and backup questions

From: <hentz_at_ilea.ufrgs.br>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 15:36:59 GMT

Hi there,

In order to utilize tape storage, Recovery Manager(RMAN) requires a Media Manager. I have Legato Storage Manager installed as the Media Manager for my Oracle 8.0.4 ( solaris 2.5.1). After some days my syslog reported that Legato Networker-5.1 license had expired. Does it prevent me from using Recovery Manager(RMAN) for backup , retore and recovery procedures?

Since I using Oracle for a non mission-critical application, would it be advisable to use a public vendor Media such as OSU Backup?

        "OSU Backup from Ohio State University which is written in perl
        and built on top of standard UNIX backup software such as
        dump/restore, cpio, and GNU tar. It has the ability to backup
        some database systems(like ORACLE). Finally, it is evolving to
        support the backup of PCs via a proxy service. The current
        source is available from ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu in /pub/backup."

Any thougth on using only a spare disk or network machine to cold or hot backups?

Cordially,

Felipe Hentz

Please, reply to hentz_at_ilea.ufrgs.br