Re: Moving unix DB instance to NT DB instance

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_tiac.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 98 02:07:06 GMT

In article <6psnrm$vjn$1_at_hagen.usenet.co.uk>, "Dave Siddons" <dave.siddons_at_capgemini.co.uk> wrote:
>Basically whats the best of doing it. The first way I have tried is.
>
>Shutdown the unix instance
>Backup to trace, the controlfile (giving me a script to regenerate it).
>
>Ftp'd the database files (all in one place) to appropriate place on NT
>machine.
>Copied init.ora file to NT box.
>
>Modified controlfile recreation script to point to NT directories
>Modified init.ora to point to correct NT directories.
>
>Create service on NT box for this instance
>
>ran svrmgr23
>
>connect / as sysdba
>
>tried to run controlfile re-creation script
>
>Got an error indicatinf invalid header in system01.ora.
>

>Any ideas ?
>
>The other possibility was to create a new fresh database on the NT box and
>export from unix to import on NT. Would this be a better solution ?
>
>Cheers for any help .... Dave.

I just today moved a schema from a Unix machine to an NT 4.0 Workstation as part of benchmarking/testing.

Basically an export and import would be fine, but the disk configuration on the NT box has got to be different.

So, I think it is best to establish the instance (under Oracle 8.0.4 this can be done with a DB assistant)(use customized so that the disk config can be properly chosen for usr, temporary, system, etc.). Set up users needed for DBA role.
Then create the tablespaces on the new box the way you want them, then import the tables from an exported (schema only) file. Good luck.

Gerald P. Sinkiewicz
E-mail sinkiege_at_tiac.net Received on Fri Jul 31 1998 - 21:07:06 CDT