Re: Why oracle can't drop column?

From: Rob Edgar <robedgar_at_mersey.com.hk>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 01:38:30 +0800

Well you can drop and recreate the table without the offending column and your application will still send in its millions of invalid requests, so I dont think thats the reason why you cant do it <g>

IMHO the reason is connected with data storage, you can always add columns as you can make more space available at worst by chaining the row BUT to remove a column from the middle of a row would leave a hole in it so you are required to drop and rebuild the table which result in a nice new table with no black holes....

Minor point as the end result is the same<g>

Rob