ASP hangs when connecting to Oracle 7

From: <robert.james_at_schwab.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:38:23 GMT

The scenario:

I'm running ASP under IIS 4.0, NT 4.0 SP3 using Microsoft's ODBC for Oracle 2.73.728301. I'm trying to connect to a SUN Solaris box running Oracle 7.3 Whenever I try to execute this piece of code....

	SYS_DSN = "OracleAccess"
	FILE_DSN = "FILEDSN=PUB_FILE.dsn"
	UID = "rjames"
	PWD = "rjames"
        set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
	conn.open SYS_DSN,UID,PWD

the web browser hangs forever. It will bring in 158k of something, and then hang so completely that it has to be exited and restarted.

I'm able to access the Oracle database server using Access 97 with exactly the same DSN. So what gives? Why won't ASP connect to the Oracle database?

Robert James
ASP tech lead
Charles Schwab, San Francisco
robert.james_at_schwab.com