JDBC SecurityException

From: Steve Shiflett <steven.p.shiflett_at_lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:17:45 -0700

I am using the Oracle8 JDBC Thin driver, my application connects to remote Oracle8 server, reads the data, and plots it just fine. (I'm using RogueWave StudioJ) This program runs in my IBM/Visual Age IDE AppletViewer when the AppletViewer Network access and Class access properties are set to "Unrestricted".

The Oracle8 NT database server is on computer "dakota", and I'm running my applet on "ohio".

When I try to deploy this application outside the IDE, in a browser, I get the following Java errors from the Java Console:

IE4 tells me:

com.ms.security.SecurityExceptionEx[Plotting/InmsData.getData]: cannot access "dakota"

 at com/ms/security/permissions/NetIOPermission.check
 at com/ms/security/PolicyEngine.deepCheck
 at com/ms/security/PolicyEngine.checkPermission
 at com/ms/security/StandardSecurityManager.chk
 at com/ms/security/StandardSecurityManager.chkex
 at com/ms/security/StandardSecurityManager.checkConnect
 at java/net/InetAddress.getAllByName0
:
:

NN4.5 tells me:

netscape.security.AppletSecurityException: security.Couldn't connect to 'dakota' with origin from 'local-classpath-classes'.

  at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Compiled Code)
  at java.lang.Exception.<init>(Compiled Code)
  at java.lang.RuntimeException.<init>(Compiled Code)
  at java.lang.SecurityException.<init>(Compiled Code)
  at netscape.security.AppletSecurityException.<init>(Compiled Code)
  at netscape.security.AppletSecurityException.<init>(Compiled Code)   at netscape.security.AppletSecurity.checkConnect(Compiled Code)   at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkConnect(Compiled Code)   at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(Compiled Code)   :
  :

Oracle documentation "Oracle8 JDBC Drivers" section "Applets Browser Security Considerations" is skimpy. Can anyone direct me to the documentation to solve this problem or suggest a solution?

Thanks!

        Steve

steven.p.shiflett_at_lmco.com
steven.p.shiflett_at_theGrid.net Received on Thu Jul 30 1998 - 12:17:45 CDT