Re: Pers Oracle8 - db creation

From: CharlesM <charlesm1NOSPAM_at_rocketmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:32:27 -0500

In article <35bf038e.0_at_139.134.5.33>, Carl.Sarelius_at_bigpond.com says...
> I have recently installed PO8 and have been looking around its =
> functionality. For an assignment I need to create tables, view, etc =
> through SQL+. Before I get in to do that however, I want to create my =
> own db independent of the "Local Database" installed by default with the =
> default sample tables. I've tried looking through the help and also a =
> manual I bought, but they don't say much.
>
> Can I do what I'm trying to do or have I missed something here. Advice =
> appreciated, please e-mail direct.
>

> Carl Sarelius
> Carl.Sarelius_at_bigpond.com
> Melbourne, Australia
>
> I need some advice regarding db creation in PO8. =
> I have recently installed PO8 and have been looking =
> around its=20
> functionality. For an assignment I need to create tables, view, etc =
> through=20
> SQL+. Before I get in to do that however, I want to create my own db =
> independent=20
> of the &quot;Local Database&quot; installed by default with the default =
> sample=20
> tables. I've tried looking through the help and also a manual I bought, =
> but they=20
> don't say much.</FONT></DIV>

If you're using NT, there is a 'database assistant' that helps with that. Very straightforward. OTOH, if you are using win95/98, only the one ORCL instance is supported (the install doesn't load oradim80 or other files to create a second instance, i.e Oracle doesn't seem to want to support multiple instances on win95 platforms and, doesn't make it easy to get around that limitation). You can still connect to other databases with NET8, if that helps. Received on Wed Jul 29 1998 - 08:32:27 CDT