Re: Web Development Tools

From: Zoerrer Helmut <dummy_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 07:38:53 GMT

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998 08:35:26 -0400, "Lisa Belanger" <lmbelanger_at_wsicorp.com> wrote:

>My boss has asked me to look into writing a new application for one of the
>departments in my company. He left the option open to me to decide if I
>want to make this a web based application or a windows base app. So the
>question to you is do you know of any web development tools which will aid
>me in connecting to a database maybe using ODBC?? I would like to make forms
>and reports which connect to an oracle db. I know how to make Active server
>pages through MS Access but I think it is too slow. Any Suggestions.
I've written an application using MS-access and ASP. I don't think that it is slow. I get very fast response from my websites.
(you should move as much as possible code in server-side includes, or if even that is to slow, use VB and write a DLL, or use MTS and write MTS-components)
You shoul use IIS 4.0 (get it with the NT-server-option-pack) to get a good performance-increase. (much faster than iis 3.0)

I'd to port my application to oracle.
There i saw the performace-lack :-(
The Oracle-solution was a lot slower.
The performance depends very hard on the ODBC-driver you're using. I'm using Oracle's 8.0.4.4 (download it from their website), dont't use the M$, this one is even slower.
Attention: You have to enable connection-pooling on the oracle-odbc-driver, if you don't you'll get a solution that ist slower than ms-access.

If you don't want M$-asp's, maybe servlets are the right for you...

good luck

    Zoerrer Helmut Received on Wed Jul 29 1998 - 02:38:53 CDT