Re: Career help - experts please advise

From: Dave Morse <dmorse_at_nospam.cinergy.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:18:03 -0500

First question: how much money do you have to spend? Oracle training (like many other technical courses) isn't cheap. Go to Oracle's web site (http://education.oracle.com) and investigate the options for training. They have two basic routes (for developers): OCP (Oracle Certified Professional) and the Masters program. One benefit I've found with the Masters program is that they have more "tracks" to follow (based on certain job roles). For instance, the OCP only has 2 tracks: Application Developer and DBA. But, the Masters program has training programs based on job roles, like "Oracle Applications Implementation Team Member", "Webmaster", "Web Application Developer", etc. Supposedly, the Masters program "preps" you for the OCP exams.

Secondly, I don't think having UNIX experience is altogether vitally important. UNIX is used by many corporations (big and small), but so is WindowsNT. I would concentrate on getting to know Oracle better and decide what type of future you'd like with the product (developer or DBA). Do you know any programming languages (C++) and/or environments (PowerBuilder, Visual Basic)?

Hope this helps! E-mail me if you'd like!

Dave Morse
dmorse_at_iquest.net
(remove the 'nospam' from my reply address)