Re: Salary question

From: James Arvigo <Hooper_X_at_Spam_Rage.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:42:25 -0500

Ryan,

I'm a contractor, and so my figures may be slightly inflated in comparison to a full-time employee.
However, it has been my experience that Oracle DBA's are amongst the highest earning positions in the computer programming / software / database industry.

When I felt that I had topped out my wage possibilities as a C/C++ programmer, I started focusing more on database design / DBA jobs.

My info, is that in New York and California a good Oracle DBA can *easily* earn in excess of $60 K/year, with most of them anticipating salaries starting at $70K and going as high as $150K for high-pressure jobs.

As a contractor/consultant (not private, I work for a firm that finds me 6 mo. - 1 yr contracts), I and all the other DBA's that I know in the field, would not even consider an Oracle DBA position for less than $50/hour which, because so many better opportunities are out there. Doing the math, that is $100K/yr, if you only work 40 hour weeks as a contractor. DBA friends of mine who are more experienced than myself are earning $60 to $100 an hour. That's $120K to $200K per year. And I have heard a friend speak of a friend (*grin*) who, in the Frisco/San Jose area was earning $150/hour.

Those figures are in regard to people I know working in Chicago, Austin, Dallas, Seattle, and California in general.

TTFN --
James Arvigo