Re: Transactions and commits;

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 20:29:22 GMT

A copy of this was sent to nasof_at_my-dejanews.com (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 18:29:47 GMT, you wrote:

>How would you facilitate the following:
>
>Begin a batch process that takes 10-20 minutes. You want the entire length
>of the process to be able to rollback should something go wrong. But, during
>the batch process you want to log your progress or log events to a table that
>other users will see. ??
>
>If you do not commit, other users will not see the entries you are logging to
>the log_table. If you spawn the logging off in a proc that commits, I believe
>it commits for all the work you have done so far...
>
>--any suggestions would be helpful....
>
>-Frank

look at the dbms_application_info package. this allows you to populate columns inthe v$session table. Additionally, in Oracle8 (you don't mention a version) they added new features to this package -- set_session_longops -- that allow you to put many rows into a table called V$SESSION_LONGOP instead of just 3 columns in v$session....

in v7, read $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/dbmsutil.sql, in v8 read $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/dbmsapin.sql....

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu Jul 23 1998 - 15:29:22 CDT