Re: How to detect the change of a table?

From: TurkBear <johng_at_mm.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:04:41 GMT

"Arjan van Bentem" <avbentem_at_DONT-YOU-DARE-cable.a2000.nl> wrote:

>I have been thinking about the same. However, I doubt that you can store the
>information in one central Audit table. That is: when you have updated the
>row in the audit table that says that in table A something has changed, then
>other sessions can not make changes to table A until the first session
>issues a commit. As long as no commit has been issued, the row for table A
>in the central Audit table will be locked.
>
>So, I guess the best solution is to write a trigger that updates extra
>columns, like last_update_date and last_updated_by in the table A itself. Or
>you'd have to take a look at Oracle standard auditing features, which I
>never used.
>
>Arjan.

I don't think this is a problem....If the trigger on Table A writes an entry to the Audit table for each change in Table A only the row holding that entry is locked--the rest of the Audit Table can accept new rows....also, the triigger can issue a commit...but it shouldn't be a problem unless the 'same' row is used to record the changes in Table A, but that wouldn't be an audit, just a 'last change' record... Received on Thu Jul 23 1998 - 09:04:41 CDT