Re: Oracle to port to Linux!

From: Frank Hovis <frank_hovis_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 14:49:04 +0100

Oracle, as with many other IT companies, are always reading the contents of specific
USENET newsgroups. As for who made the decision on the Linux port - well, since Larry
hates Bill and NT seems to be forever growing its market share - things had to be done.

  1. Netscape giving away Browser and Sourcecode to try and stop IE
  2. IBM to give OS/2 away free with sourcecode (a'la Netscape)
  3. Oracle to release its port of O8 (not O7 thou?) to what amounts to a "freeware" O/S

They all "seem" to be extricably tied together - perhaps its a consertive attempt to tide the
flow of MS.

The pricing on Linux versions (you can bet) will be cheaper than NT seats.

Strange Oracle didnt release its port of Oracle7 which its had on its shelves for many a
year (I had a copy back when it was 7.2)

Regards

X.

nb: yep, I work/worked for Oracle