Re: Is_number () like function

From: Christophe Renard <crenard_at_mednet.mc>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 17:42:16 +0200

Thanx to you and all the other that aswered me. But what I am willing to check isn't only if the string contains good characters but if its a valid number.
Part of my numbers are dotted decimal so I tried with RTRIM(translate(prix_B_G1,'1234567890.',' ')), but it cannot catch errors like :

'.5' good number
'0.4' good number
'5.7.7' bad number

Since what I'm willing to track is human input error in data I imported where I now there are problems (because some of my usual billing request get stopped by a INVALID_NUMBER exception). To correct it I have wroten a slow procedure fetching and trying to convert every line of my table writing out the one that throw the exception, but since I'll often have to perform this check I believed there was an easyer way to do so ...

Once again thank you folk for your help

Christophe Renard Received on Tue Jul 21 1998 - 10:42:16 CDT