One SQL statement to update multiple tables?

From: Chris Garland <cgarland_at_nr.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 00:13:09 -0400

We are trying to limit the number of database calls we are making (selects/inserts/updates) in our VB5 app connecting to an Oracle 7.3.4 database. We created an Oracle view that selected data from multiple tables. We could get the data into an ADO recordset w/ "Select * from THREE_TABLE_VW". That was an easy way to get around doing 3 selects. However, Oracle (7.3.4) won't update(or insert) more than one table in a view at once. We tried both updating the recordset (rs.UpdateBatch) and with straight SQL (in SQLPlus). Oracle reports back that it can't update multiple tables in a join view.

Can anyone think of a solution (i.e., strange and convoluted SQL statement, some funky Oracle trick,etc.) that will allow us to execute only one ODBC call to update multiple tables?

Thanks,
Chris Garland
garlandc_at_volvo.com Received on Mon Jul 20 1998 - 23:13:09 CDT