Re: Source Control

From: Huwski <no email>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:13:25 GMT

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 14:56:05 +0100, "Alan D. Mills" <alanmNOSPAM_at_uk.europe.mcd.mot.com> wrote:

>I agree with your sentiment that this seems odd but one thought thet occurs
>is...
>
>Perhaps some of the earlier files are for previous version(s) of Forms which
>have since been uninstalled in favour of later versions and that these
>source files do not generate without modifcation in the later version of
>forms.
>
>They can then revert back to early versions of application code without the
>messing about with early version of Forms needing to be installed.
>
>--
>Alan D. Mills
>

>Huwski wrote in message <35b3224e.14477145_at_news.geccs.gecm.com>...
>>
>>Is there anyone out there using this practice or can give me vaild
>>reasons why they should hold both the source and executables in PVCS ?

Thanks for that Alan, I was begining to think I'd missed something 'obvious'.

My fears are that as the forms are rolled out to another site/ database instance there is no way of knowing if the forms will run against the current server objects,
Are all the tables / packages /procedures /sequences there that the form was originally compiled against ?? etc.

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer re-compiling all my source against the proposed target database!

Regards

Huw