data access partitioning (security)

From: S,Erik <e_at_technologist.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 15:08:19 -0400

We're creating an application that will have users from several geographic locations, and each one will receive access to the data based on their location. Some tables will be accessed by a single location only, others will be shared among all locations. For those shared, their will be "row-level" access or filtering so that each location only sees their own data.

If there is anyone out there implementing something like this, can you please give some ideas how you're partitioning the data and ensuring that these security requirements are kept? Also, who's primarily responsible for creating and maintaining this architecture (i.e., DBAs, developers, etc,...)? If these responsibilities are shared, how so?

Feel free to include technical jargon as well (Roles, IDs, views, etc,...). We're asking from a technical perspective. Received on Sat Jul 18 1998 - 14:08:19 CDT