Oracle 8.0 optimisation and views

From: Tony O'Hagan <tohagan_at_opcom.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 15:00:05 +1000

I intend to setup a view with multiple outer joins (star like joins on a single primary table)
by also many expression used in the selected columns.

If I then dynamicaly create a select statement based on this view, will Oracle 8.0 query optimisation be smart enough to ...

  1. Avoid computing unused columns
  2. Avoid joining tables if they are unused (Note: The *outer* joins will never affect the set of primary table rows returned)

Thanks
Tony O'Hagan.

Reply by email is preferred.

Tony O'Hagan OPCOM P/L http://www.opcom.com.au Phone: +61 7 3354-3406 Fax: +61 7 3371-1257 Email: tohagan_at_opcom.com.au
Web: http://www.gil.com.au/~tohagan
Views expressed are my own and not those of my employer. Received on Thu Jul 16 1998 - 00:00:05 CDT