how to run a cold backup from a dos batch file

From: Tony Howard <tonyh_at_gmap.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:11:25 +0100 (BST)

I'm using PC Oracle 7 on win95 for a relatively small database that has to be shipped to a client on a CD.
The data will be used by our product which accesses the database via ODBC.
As part of the installation procedure i would like the client to do a complete backup of their
database so that if anything untoward happens during installation we can recover what they had before.
Part of out agreed specification is that the client has no interaction with the installation procedures
apart from running any batch files we send. (Please don't tell me that we are using Oracle completely inappropriately - i know that - but it's all to do with 'approved products' - ie our client recognises that Oracle is a 'good' product - though they seem to know
naff all about it.)
Is it possible to run a backup from a dos batch file, & if so how please.
Thanks in advance.
tonyh Received on Tue Jul 14 1998 - 03:11:25 CDT