Re: Data Warehousing and RAID

From: Michael E. Austin <austin_at_inmind.com>
Date: 1998/07/13

Ng K C Paul wrote:

> Is there any table partitioning feature in Sybase or Rdb?

Where have you been???? Rdb has had horizontal table partitioning since at LEAST V3.0 (when I started working with it) That was 1990. Rdb V7.0 add Vertical partioning as well as horizontal partitioning. See the docs for syntax. If you have enough tape drives in your cluster you can really get some screaming performance during backup/restore. I was at a site 4 years ago (using v4.1 upgrading 5.1). Using 15 big DAT tapedrives (from IBM with DECs name on them) we backed up and upgraded 45 databases smallest 2-3G largest was 12G in less than 3 hours. We used over 100 of these tapes. I believe they were 4G tapes. You don't necessarily use all of each tape, but the performance is GREAT. As of V6.0 you can restore WITH CONSISTENCY (using AIJ's of course) a single page in a xxxG database. Try that with the others :)

Most of these features are also available for Rdb8/NT!!!

I am not certain about Sybase, but I think it is there in 10 or 11.

Now that I am done rambling :)

Michael Austin
An Independent Database Consultant
asutin_at_inmind.com

--
Notice:
Unauthorized  use  of  this  email address  is