Re: Data Warehousing and RAID

From: Ng K C Paul <paulkcng_at_news.netvigator.com>
Date: 1998/07/13

Is there any table partitioning feature in Sybase or Rdb?

hylui (hylui_at_netvigator.com) wrote:
: I think RAID is good from the point of view of disk failure. Say, if you
: have 100 disks and you must beware that a few percent of them may crash
: suddenly. Mirroring will do but costs more disk space. In addition, usually
: RAID disks are striped already (well you may strip on multiple RAID disk
: also), which should definitely reduce the I/O contention. For example, we
: are using Oracle8 and with its new partition feature, we can define a table
: over a number of partitions which are on different LUN (Logical Unit, well
: we are using Sun also).
:
: :-) H.Y.Lui
:
: Phil Swain <pswain_at_imb.com.au> wrote in article
: <35A76822.847634B9_at_imb.com.au>...
: > Hi,
: > I would be extremely grateful for anyone's advice on using RAID
: > (and which one) with Data Warehousing (DW). Obviously the main usage of
: > the disk array is "bulk" loading data and then ad hoc queries which may
: > well be running for many many minutes. This is not a OLTP system. If
: > anyone has practical experience then this would be great. Is RAID a
: > waste with DW since the data is virtually static with no updates during
: > the day and which can be relatively easily restored from backup? Will
: > RAID5 be slow, even when the array is external with it's own processor
: > and 256Mb Cache for it's single controller? Note this is a NT system
: > with Red Brick RDBMS. Thanks in advance
: > Phil
: >