Faster outer joins???

From: Jose M. <jmjulia_at_arrakis.es>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 23:12:51 +0200

Hi all!

I'm running a query on a table which outer-joins to another table

table 1.field = table2.field (+)

I know it'll be slower that a simple join, but it's too slower for me... :-) So I've run the EXPLAIN PLAN utility on that query and what I get is a FULL ACCESS to the second table... but that table has got an index, and that means that it's not being used!!! why??? it would be very faster, because that second table is very extense...

Someone told me that outer joins don't use indexes... is that true? or can I do something to improve speed?

Thanx!
--

Jose M. Julia' (Seldon_ on IRC) -- Madrid (Spain) e-mail: jmjulia_at_arrakis.es
www: http://www.arrakis.es/~jmjulia

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" ("La violencia es el ultimo recurso del incompetente")
                            Isaac Asimov