Y2K Problem and Oracle 7.3

From: Dominique Potter <dom_at_cheerful.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:04:36 +0100

Hi,
Can anyone help with this little problem.

Environment:
Oracle 7.3, Win95, SQLWindows application.

Constraints: Win95 config cannot change, SQLWindows application cannot change.

Problem:
If a user enters a date for the next century, e.g 2001, the SQLWindows application passes back to Oracle the date '1901' (it's a BUG). I need to provide a solution that will update ANY dates inserted/updated into Oracle. I am not worried about dates prior to 1949, hence I tried to set the NLS_DATE_FORMAT to 'DD-MM-RRR' to force Oracle into correcting the century. This will work if a user enters a two digit century, but not with four digit centuries.

One thought would be to create a 'before insert trigger' on every date field in every table. This trigger would read the date columns and correct it if the century is incorrect. Problem is I have approx two hundred tables with *lots* of date fields.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ? Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Dominique

Dom_at_cheerful.com Received on Tue Jul 07 1998 - 07:04:36 CDT