Re: newbie question

From: GHouck <hksys_at_teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:08:11 GMT

Lance Nguyen wrote:

> Hello Gurus,
>
> How would I go about exploring the Oracle database that I newly have
> access to? All I know right now is how to 'sqlplus' and run some
> sql statements to query some tables that I know exists. How do I find
> what other tables exists in the database?
>
> Also suppose, that I was told a certain trigger (say triggerA) is
> associated with a table (say TableA). How would I view/edit this
> so called trigger? Is there a table somewhere that lists all the
> available trigger in the database?
>
> As a matter of fact, what are some system tables that oracle use to
> maintain the rdbms?
>
> Are there any books out there that answers these questions?
>
> Are there any web sites on the internet that will give a newbie some
> basic and advanced tutorials?

Lance,

If you are using 32-bit Windows and Oracle 7 or better, take a look at the free
  'Tool for Oracle Application Developers' (TOAD) at
  http://www.toadsoft.com

In addition to its very, very low cost, it allows you to glean quite a bit of information from your database without looking too far: the users, tables, views, constraints, indices, procedures, sessions, import, export, scripts, SQL, updates, queries, ad infinitum.

Yours,

Geoff Houck
systems hk
hksys_at_teleport.com