Can't connect to new database until all services are restarted

From: Heidi K. Barg <heidi_at_stepforward.org>
Date: 1998/07/02

I can create a database without any problem, but am unable to use it until I stop the newly created database service and all previously running services, related to Oracle, and then restart them.

The error that I get when I don't stop and restart all the services is: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available.

I am using Oracle8 on NT and the way in which I created the new database is as follows:

c:\> oradim80 -new -sid AAAA -intpwd manager -startmode auto -pfile
c:\orant\database\initAAAA.ora
c:\> oradim80 -startup -sid ORCL -starttype srvc,inst -usrpwd manager -pfile
c:\orant\database\initAAAA.ora
c:\> svrmgr30 @c:\orant\database\CreateAAAA.sql

The new database service is also added properly to the tnsnames.ora file.

The only difference in it working and not working is when the services are all stopped and then restarted. Could I be missing a flag or something?

If anyone knows anything about how to connect to a newly created database I would really appreciate if you could tell me where I am going wrong.

Thanks,

heidi

(heidi_at_gestalt.com) Received on Thu Jul 02 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT