Re: performance issues

From: Edward Whalen <ewhalen_at_perftuning.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 11:40:37 -0500

On the hardware side probably the most important thing is that you have enough I/O capacity. One of the biggest problems that I see are systems that do not have enough disk drives to support the I/O rates that they are trying to sustain. A typical disk drive can support about 70 I/Os per second (random). If you are using some sort of RAID level for data protection your I/O capacity is further reduced. Before deciding on your configuration you should try to determine the I/O rate that you will be sustaining and plan for that.
Ed

--
Edward Whalen
President