Which port does SQL*Net use?

From: Yat-Fan <ccfan_at_ust.hk>
Date: 1998/07/01

Hello all,

I am using SQL*Plus 3.3 to connect to Oracle 8.0.4 server on WinNT 4.0.

QUESTION:
Due to security reasons, the network traffic is restricted (through an IP gateway emulated by a Linux server), and since I used to think that SQL*Net is using
ports 1521 or 1526, I asked the network team to release traffic between server ports 1521, 1526 and my PC ports 1024 and above.

However, this did not work. We finally need to open the traffic between server ports 1024 and above and my PC port 1024 and above.

INITIAL GUESS:
Is it that SQL*Net can be set to be dynamically binded? In UNIX, we see that in /etc/services, the SQL*Net port is binded to 1521/1526, but I don't see such an entry in any of our NT installations (maybe cos' for other installations, we do not need to
import traffic restrictions).

Can anyone help?

Many many thanks.

Rgds.,
fan.
(Yat-Fan HO, The Kowloon-Canton Railway Corp., HONG KONG) ps. It's best if in addition to posting a reply, also forward one copy of the reply to
me. Many thanks again. Received on Wed Jul 01 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT