SETting SCAN off from inside PL/SQL

From: Kal Khatib <kkhatib_at_cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:55:54 -0700

I have PL/SQL procedures that use dynamic SQL in a package. Many of the variables used in dyn SQL might contain the ampersand &. I need to turn off variable substituion so that statements take & as a literal. How do I do that inside the package/procedure? I'm using an Orable Web Application server (OWA), and the procedures are called from a Web browser.

I need to have SCAN set to off everytime a user points to a procedure in the particular package.
I tried dyn SQL "dbms_sql.parse(c, 'set scan off', ...) etc, but it fails.

I know I could set scan off in a SQLPLUS session using SET SCAN OFF; what type of command is SET? (it's not DDL, DML, nor DCL) Is it a session command? How do I get a procedure pass it to SQL engine succesfully?

Help ever greatly appreciated.
Kal. Received on Wed Jul 01 1998 - 15:55:54 CDT