Re: Procdures, triggers, alerters and rules

From: Rebecca Riordan <rebeccar_at_magna.com.au>
Date: 1998/06/29

Sean,

Rather depends on your environment, designers have a distressing tendency to re-define these terms. Generally, though, a "procedure" is a bit of code that does something, but doesn't return a result. Sometimes "procedure" is used generically for any bit of code. Sometimes "function" is the generic term. Very irritating.

A "trigger" is a bit of code that happens when an event occurs (e.g., something "triggers" it); in db's, the term trigger generally means a bit of code that is executed when some change is made to a table. Access doesn't have them.

I've never heard of an "alerter". Sorry.

A "Rule" is either a general statement of the constraints and validations pertaining to a field or record, or a specific representation of same, e.g., a validation rule.

HTH