Re: Oracle/JDBC driver concatenation problem - help!

From: John R. Howey <jhowey_at_ford.com>
Date: 1998/06/29

Daniel Kirkdorffer wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm using the Oracle/JDBC driver oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver and
> executing the following statement:
>
> SELECT
> C.VALIDATION_TYPE || ' ' || C.PROVISION_MODE || '-' ||
> C.STYLE_SEQUENCE 'SERVICE_STYLE'
Remove the single quotes around Service_style.

> FROM
> SERVICE A, SERVICE_CATEGORY B, SERVICE_STYLE C
> WHERE
> A.SERVICE_CATEGORY_ID = B.SERVICE_CATEGORY_ID AND
> A.SERVICE_STYLE_ID = C.SERVICE_STYLE_ID
>
> When I test this with the ODBC driver in MS Query for example,
> everything works fine: the columns are concatenated into
> a new column SERVICE_STYLE for display.
>
> However with JDBC I get the following error:
>
> Message: ORA-00923: FROM keyword not found where expected
>
> Is this a know limitation with JDBC? Can I not concatenate
> this way?

No! When you get an ORA-nnnnn message that is from Oracle...

> Any help would greatly appreciated!!

Try running your queries in SQL Plus first to get the syntax that Oracleuses. ODBC via MS tools do some preparsing (despite their claims to the contrary)
and some syntax manipulation...

John. Received on Mon Jun 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT