Re: Handling correct interpretation of '&' in dynamic SQL

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 01:49:41 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Kal Khatib <kkhatib_at_cisco.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 14:04:49 -0700, you wrote:

>I'm using dynamic sql in a PL/SQL package. Many of the varchar2
>variables might contain the ampersand '&' character.
>How do I get dynamic SQL to interpret it as a letter instead of an input
>variable?
>I'm trying to avoid convoluting the code by parsing each field looking
>for the &.
>
>Please copy me when responding to the group.
>Thank you
>Kal.

The & is a sqlplus'ism. Its not SQL...

to turn it off in sqlplus you can....

SQL> set scan off
SQL> set define <some other character you don't use>

Or, you can compile your code using svrmgrl...

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Mon Jun 29 1998 - 20:49:41 CDT