Re: Oracle Web Application Server, PL/SQL, and HTML

From: Danny <danny_garza_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:20:10 -0500

>Really ? How do you do ? Do you have a version managment tool for
packages on
>the server.If so please let me know.

I'm just refering to the part of keeping all your code in one place without having to use some type of Software Configuration Management tool. We've had a problem with programmers using Delphi and Visual Basic where code is kept on their C drive and not in the proper test environment. PL/SQL is kept in the database which makes it alot easier to keep track of for us. A full fledge SCM tools could be helpful.

>a.) How do you deal with back - button when user can navigate back to
form
>where she or he is doing triggers insert or update when pressing SUBMIT.
> or asked the other way : How to prevent updates or inserts to happen
when
>user does a reload or repost of a previous form.

We get double records when adding. Not sure yet. In one application we reworked it to not allow the users to ad :) The records are pre-inserted and we only allow them to edit. (this solution doesn't work with everything of course)

>b.) How do you do transaction processing.

We don't right now. :( We're still crawling.

>Hope I didn't bore you. Would like to get mail from you again. Shed
problems are
>half problems.

Thank you very much for the response, with all the web based development tools popping up and new technologies like DHTML, ActiveX, Java, DCOM, Cobra....it's hard decide what works and what doesn't. It just takes way to much time to learn all these things to find out that it's not the answer.

Another question I have is : Do you create one big database instance for both internal and external users? The security seems to be able to handle this. It sure does make it easier to have just one database server and no duplicate data.

Danny.. Received on Sun Jun 28 1998 - 23:20:10 CDT